Sunday, March 11, 2012

Things are getting done!

About a month ago I started the Figurehead Shawl by Alexis Winslow. The body was very easy to work but the border was a real challenge. That's a knit scallop edge! The design is really really clever - but I hated working on the border. Of course now that it is finished I am in love with it and thinking about other colors and yarns I would like to work this in. It's really cute!


I worked my version in Brown Sheep Prairie Silk yarn - Which is now discontinued. I really love Brown Sheep Yarns. I used just over 1 skein of each color - a lavender and a grey. REALLY love the results! I originally wasn't going to put a button on the project, but after I blocked this out I got more length I found that I could. The way I am wearing it in the picture below is with it buttoned under my chin and tucked under the bulk of the shawl. It was really windy when I took these pictures and the shawlette really kept my neck from feeling the wind!


I have been wearing headbands a lot lately and have been looking for simple headbands to knit. I found this pattern on Ravelry called "Cool Cotton Headband". I knit it up and it took 27 yards (15 grams) of cotton! A perfect use for those left over balls of yarn from knitting washcloths. This is a free pattern on Ravelry and I was able to knit it up in about an hour. (I think it took a little longer than that but I was surfing the net and drinking coffee....) It's still a little thicker than I would like for everyday wear - but I think it would be a perfect headband to throw in my make-up caddy for wearing at night when I wash my face. Would make a great instant gift or stocking stuffer too. I knit this with Debbie Bliss Pure Cotton. (I could make three of these out of one skein and still have a little left over yarn!)


And I finished my Sari to Drop-In Scarf knit out of Frabjous Fibers Millefiori yarn. (The recycled Sari yarn.) The pattern I used was Barb Bettegnies Drop-In Scarf pattern from Creative Knitting, Fall 2010: Accessorize with Style. I had made this scarf a couple years back in ribbon yarn and loved the pattern. It's really fast and easy and the results are quite pretty! This was another stash buster for me and I am very pleased with my results!




Not much progress on my vest this week. I have had a lot of insomnia and I won't work on that project when I am tired or lacking focus. I don't want to mess it up!

In other news - We are breaking records for our warmth here this weekend. It is just amazing out! Yesterday it was 67F  - our normal average high for this time of year is 37F! That's a huge difference! I saw kids biking outside the house in shorts and t-shirts! Amazing! I will be out in that garden before I know it!

8 comments:

Nicky said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

wow u go girl!! Love your shawl and you are getting so skinny!!

LiteraryLadybug said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Knitting Nix The shawl turned out really cute! I am quite proud of it.:) And THANK YOU for the skinny comment! Made me smile! I am feeling really good and strong and healthy! :)

Hippywitch said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I agree, you're looking very skinny :-) Well done you! The knits are gorgeous, I love the sari yarn sooo much!
Enjoy your warm weather, it's been quite lovely here too

Lori xxx

LiteraryLadybug said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Hippywitch Thank you! I am feeling really good! Isn't that Sari yarn just YUMMY?!?! Love it!

Debbie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

any tips on these scallops?e??? Not understanding how this is going to play out and I am on row 6 of the scallop? Will all these long pieces be picked up in the final row? I am so confused????
Love yours by the way.

LiteraryLadybug said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Debbie -
Hey Debbie! Not sure if you will be able to see this or not. I couldn't reply to your comment so I am just replying in a new comment. I know that is a confusing part of the pattern! I was really worried about those really long floats on the scallop edge. But it DOES work out. Just trust the pattern and read it carefully. If you are on Ravelry you can look at my pictures and see how my scallops came out. If you Zoom in you can see the floats on the pictures of the shawl blocking out. That pick up row is kind of hard on the hands - but it looks wonderful when you finish! Good luck and let me know how it goes if you have a minute!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I see. I took out what I did, I thought I could use this other yarn in there....wrong yarn so now I will try it with a more "compatible" yarn, so much for being a little creative. Thanks for the help. I will try and show you a picture once done.

LiteraryLadybug said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous Do you have a ravelry name? I could pop in and take a look at it on there. I hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...